Saturday 15 October 2011

A Confused beginning

6 months back a 19 year old, who was just 10 days out of college, joins a celebrated firm.
And her life changed forever.

I am sure you got a glimpse of my JOB in my first post. This is just an elaborate version of the glimpse.

When you get into a BIG firm you get to hear a lot of things like;

1. WOW! You are so lucky. (Which means- Another Scapegoat...Hahahaha)
2. Isn't it difficult to get in there? How did you manage? Your parents must be proud of you. (Hard luck) .
3. You have grown so big and got into a bigger firm. You must have worked real hard for this.
(LOL)
4. The most common of all; Congratulations! Work hard and give your best. When are you getting back to studying? My daughter gave up her well paying job to study…she is such a wise girl….The proud mother goes on and on and on. (And my mom gives me the-i-am-going-to-start-soon look. And I have an I-am-stuck smile on my face.)  

Now, after all these wonderful mixed comments and date of joining approaching at a lightning speed your nervous energy reaches an all time high.

First Day

A sleepless night due to excitement and an early morning rise had drained me a little but the excitement never faded. I started with my entire family before 7:30 am (Paati’s* order to leave before Raghu kalam*) for an office at 9:30. My excitement and anxiety levels were touching new highs. After some mandatory and voluntary temple vists, we reached the place by 8:30.
And all I saw were the watchmen, who were sleepy which meant they dint have their shifts yet and also that I was a bit too early.

But, of course time flew thanks to the number of phone calls I received that day. I have never received as many ALL THE BEST phone calls as I had received that day. Every other person to whom Amma and Appa had super proudly boasted about their daughter’s first job called up. And, I was elated.

Finally it was 9:30, time to get in. I did have a friend along with me who also got selected, which meant I had some company. We were taken to a conference room, where our induction programme started. I had never written my name as many times as I had written that day on those never ending bunch of forms.

The first thing that I noticed about the office was, THEY DID NOT HAVE A CANTEEN (they did have a small area with a TV and some tables & chairs to sit with coffee vending machine- NOT A CANTEEN). Though my work involved being at the client place most of the time and only occasional visits to the office, still not having a canteen is SAD. The office otherwise was pretty okay…not a big one just a floor in a not so big building.

After an entire day of lectures which stretched up till 8 in the evening and with shocks like we would not have a training (Auditing was never part of my syllabus), we would start working from tomorrow itself (after a two hour stupid training), I was drained out completely. And considering the fact that I come to conclusions a little too quickly, questions like isthiswhatyouwanttodo already started creeping in (too early, I know. can’t help though..my brain works that way. :P). I used all my convincing skills to make my brain understand that ‘Work Hasn’t started yet…let’s wait’. It did work out till it started and then the voices just became a little more harsher and louder.

And I am still dealing with it all the while figuring out how to move on.   


The life changing part, ah! let that be for some other time. Too many things have changed since then; need to put on the reverse gear.

Translations.

Paati- Grand mom

Raghu Kalam- Supposed to be the inauspicious timing in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment