Saturday 12 May 2012

Unpalatable experience.

A first hand account of an unpalatable experience that shook me up.

I had one hell of an experience, travelling from Coimbatore to Chennai, couple of weeks back by a bus.

I was going alone. There was nobody sitting in the seat beside mine.There was another guy who was sitting on the other side. Even he did not have anybody sitting beside him. And the journey to hell started.

I was excited about travelling alone for the first time. I ensconced in my seat and switched on my music player and drifted into my dream world. I wasn't able to sleep, so,  I woke up and moved the curtains to see where we were. After a while, I fell asleep only to be woken up by continuous shakes. It was a lady and her daughter from behind. Even before I could realise what was happening she started warning me about the guy sitting on the other side. Apparently, he was staring at me continuously and his intentions didn't seem to be good. It was 2:30 am and the bus had stopped at a toll gate. It took sometime for the information to sink in.

The bus then started and my heart beat raised all of a sudden. I had always been a fighter kid and was never scared to shout or fight if somebody was misbehaving. But this time I was scared. I didn't know what was happening. Just about that time the guy put his hand on the seat beside mine and I shrieked. The minute he realised I wasn't sleeping ( my head was turned towards the window side ) he took his hand back and kept looking at me. I turned to shout but I couldn't. Fear gripped me. It was 4:00 am by then and Chennai was about 3 hours away.

I didn't know what to do, so I messaged a friend for some words of strength. I didn't get a reply. I turned towards the window and tears engulfed. I was too tired by then and was fighting to keep my eyes open. After an hour I turned to look at him and realised he wasn't there. The bus hadn't stopped anywhere so he couldn't have got down. Just when I started to think that, I was probably over reacting, a hand hit my right thigh. Before even I could realise what was happening the guy was looking behind from the front seat and I lost my senses. I screamed at him in English and started shivering so much that I wasn't even able to abuse him. People in the bus then took notice but nobody came around to scold him. The guy meekly said Sorry and I couldn't shout more. I was shivering so much that sense wasn't hitting me. He later moved to his place and did not look at me until we got down. I was just coming into senses when koyambedu bus stand arrived. I hadn't been there before and didn't know to read Tamil. I realised a little late after asking somebody for the name of the place that this is where I had to get down.

As I was getting up and pulling out my bags from the baggage loft somebody hit my back. Before I could turn and see, the guy had left. I know I should have seen if he was around and waited for him to go before I could get down. But, I was way too relieved to have reached intact.

I don't know how things would have been different had I shouted and abused him. I learnt a lesson for life.

All this just because I am a girl in her twenties and has the guts to travel alone or because they think I am travelling alone, thus modern and open to anything. This happened while I was totally covered by a blanket. Does it make a girl susceptible to severe damage just because she's independent and travels alone? What makes the guy invite himself? The questions are not going to stop and answers are too many.

Everybody has a say in it, some say the boy is at fault while some others say the girl is at fault. But, what beyond the talks? Its all no words and no action. what about the lakhs of girls facing such incidents day in and out? We can't stop going out and nor are we from aristocratically rich families wherein travelling in public transport is looked down upon.

This is happening widely and people have accepted it. People think raising voice against these small things are signs of immaturity. To all those who say this, you haven't faced it so don't talk, if you have then stand up against it. Why accept and let it grow?

Some say such things keep happening, the wiser would ignore and move. Probably, its true. But, these small things later lead to the big things and cause irreparable damage. Its good to move on but not ignore. But then how do we fight against it? If we shout or abuse they get provoked and resort to deadlier ways to avenge the insult. They override the laws and are wealthy enough to pay for the bail and damage, to come out easily and cause havoc.

A solution to this is the need of the hour. The more we delay, the more the damage is done. Waking up after everything is over will not solve the problem. We'll have to pluck out the malady from the root. And such incidents form the roots. If these are controlled then we could probably see a change for the better. And provide a safer place for the women to live.  

Probably I should have carried a pepper spray or something. But, then would that solve the problem?

Today its me, tomorrow it can be anybody.  Beware and be safe! And stand up, don't succumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment